EBC’s Data Protection Policy
This page exists for two reasons:
- We want to inform you about how we protect your information because we want you to feel secure dealing with us.
- A statement of data protection, data privacy and cookie use is now obligatory under European law.
How EBC’s systems protect you and your identity
Data protection processing at all levels
EBC takes data protection very seriously so our system uses the following process and policies to make sure that noone pirates your data.
- Encrypted Data transmission – The entire credit card payment process runs under SSL (Secure Socket Layer) to ensure that all data transmitted between your PC or portable device and EBC’s credit card payment process is encrypted. This means that if anything attempts to intercept or hijack your data or EBC’s data during the transmission process it will be unreadable and unusable.
- Password protection – Your data is stored in a password protected database and all access codes are protected and hidden.
- Password encryption – Your password is encrypted, so if you lose it, use the “I forgot my password” section on the main page to reset your password. Don’t ask us because even we don’t know what your password is in human readable form.
- Secure emails – All emails are sent via our Microsoft Exchange® trusted servers. This means that the emails we send are 100% genuine.
- Anti-phishing and user identity protection – Every page and process (including email processes) in the entire system has phishing and user identity protection built in. This means that rogue domains and users cannot access the system.
- Industry standard payment processing – Our payment processing for Visa and Mastercard uses Visa and Mastercard’s own security processes to ensure that all of your credit card information is 100% safe. We use “Verified by VISA” and “Mastercard SecureCode”. There is a limited use of PayPal as well. When PayPal is an allowed payment option, we use PayPal’s standard published interface to ensure that your PayPal information is not compromised.
- No usable payment data is saved – We do not store any information at all about your credit card number(s) or bank account number(s).
- No hassles opt-out option – You can opt out of EBC’s system whenever you want by changing your personal details.
- Complete transparency – You can see everything that you’ve put into the system.
- You have 100% ownership – The data that you trust with us is one hundred percent yours. EBC will NEVER give your data to any 3rd party outside EBC unless you give EBC permission to do so.
EBC guarantees never to send you SPAM and that EBC will never give your information to any third party without your permission. We wouldn’t like our personal information flying around either!
EBC is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when our websites, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
EBC may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy has been in effect since October 1, 2002.
The data we collect
We collect the following information:
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as qualifications, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to answering enquiries or processing course applications
What we do with the information that we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise our websites according to your interests.
Communication opt out
Should you decide to stop communicating with EBC, you may do so at any time by updating the relevant parameter in your personal details section. If you opt out, EBC will close our communication channel with you, but you can reactivate communications at any time.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Cookies – small files placed on your computer
- The EBC web site uses a content management system called WordPress.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our websites in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with better websites, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you decline a cookie, it may prevent you from taking full advantage of our websites.
Cookies used by the EBC web site
Visitor facing components
- Accordian shortcode – a process for opening and closing page sections making it easier for you to see what is of interest to you rather than the entire content.
- Arconix FAQ – a process for organising and displaying our FAQ page.
- BE Subpages – a process that creates the left menu showing subsections.
- Cleantalk anti-spam – a process that ensures the site is safe from unauthorised access and spam robots.
- Vcita – our email contact page process.
- Jetpack post views – a process to show visitors the number of visitors to a blog post title.
- Kwayy sitemap – a process for organising and displaying our site map page.
- Social login – a process that allows you to login using a social network account.
- Page views count – a process to show visitors the number of visitors to a page.
- Permalink finder – redirects you to a relevant page in case a page no longer exists but still shows up in Google.
- Shareaholic – enables you to share a page’s content on a social network.
Web-master facing components
- Black Studio TinyMCE Widget – a text box for use by Page Builder.
- Broken link checker – a process that informs the web-master if URL links are no longer active.
- Crelly Slider – manages image sliders.
- Custom Menu Wizard – manages extra menu bars.
- Define custom post types, custom taxonomies and custom fields – creates extra definitions.
- Google analytics – a process to anonymously check the pages people visit.
- Header and Footer Scripts – allows custom page presentation control scripts.
- Jetpack – provides extended web functionality.
- Moesia Above Footer Widgets – allows the placement of media areas above the page footer.
- Moesia Above Header Widgets – allows the placement of media areas above the page header.
- Moesia Below Header Widgets – allows the placement of media areas below the page header.
- Moesia Fonts Extended – extra fonts.
- Page Builder – creates page layouts from templates.
- Plugin organizer – allows the web-master to eliminate unnecessary process from pages.
- Post Types Order – reorders posts.
- Regenerate Thumbnails – recreates image thumbnails.
- RS FeedBurner – publishes to EBC’s RSS feed.
- SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle – extra media areas for use by Page Builder.
- Updraft plus – creates daily backups of the web site.
- Widgets on pages – allows the web-master to add extra processes to web pages.
- WordPress SEO – allows the web-master to optimise page content for search engines.
- WP Clean Up – removes unwanted material.
- WP Media Category Management – classifies media.
- WP memory load – allows the web-master to monitor page size.
- WP SEO HTML Sitemap – maintains the site map page.
- WP Smush – reduces image sizes.
- WPDBSpringClean – removes unwanted data base material.
- Yoast SEO – manages the site’s SEO.
Links to other websites
Our websites may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over other website. EBC is not responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting these sites and these sites are not governed by EBC’s privacy statement. You should always exercise caution and look at the data privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Spanish Data Protection Act.
Deleting your personal information
You may at any time request that we completely delete your information from our files. In order to make sure that it’s really you making the request, you must send your written and signed request (original not a copy) to us at: EBC Servcios Lingüísticos Europe, Calle Orense 16, 2E, 28020 Madrid, Spain.
Warning: If you choose to delete all of your personal information, you will no longer be able to use EBC’s English teaching job placement assistance programme.
Controlling the content of your CV/resume in EBC’s student management system
As part of EBC’s English teaching job placement assistance programme you will be given access to EBC’s Student Management System. Within the Student Management System you may enter your CV/resume. The CV/resume is distributed to language schools at your request. You are in full control of your CV/resume so EBC is not responsible for its content or any consequences arising from it being distributed to language schools. You have full control over your CV/resume and may change it or delete it whenever you wish.