TEFL course Chania Crete program – teach English in Crete!
TEFL course Chania Crete program. Join our teach abroad program, get TEFL certified with us and teach English in Chania.
EBC TEFL course Chania Crete program – teach English in Chania!
Join our teach abroad program, get TEFL certified and teach English in Crete and Greece.
TEFL course Chania Crete. More information about this historic Mediterranean island.
- Information about Chania
- What you should bring to the TEFL course Chania Crete programme
- The TEFL course Chania Crete training centre
- Accommodation options for the TEFL course Chania Crete programme
- Teaching opportunities and pay after successfully completing the TEFL course Chania Crete programme
Take the EBC TEFL course Chania Crete program, get TEFL certified and start teaching English in Crete!
Chania, or XANIA as it is spelled in Greek, is a beautiful coastal town located on Crete, the largest of all the Greek islands. Crete lies south of the Aegean Sea. It has snow-capped mountains and lush green coastal plains. There are many historical sites to visit including Knossos, home of the fabled Minotaur. The island offers an abundance of beautiful beaches and rocky coves, charming villages and quaint harbours as well as excellent food.
Chania was built, according to archaeological research, on the ruins of the ancient town of Kydonia, dating back to the Minoan period 1900-2200 B.C.
Chania’s old town is considered Crete’s most beautiful urban district, especially the crumbling Venetian harbour with its 15th century lighthouse Faros and the Mosque of the Janissaries Giali Tzamissi, built in the 17th century.
Many of the old buildings have been restored as hotels, restaurants, shops and bars, making the old town a lively and colourful place during the tourist period especially May-September. The Splantzia quarter behind the inner harbour and the Venetian Arsenals are still largely untouched and very atmospheric. The clean beaches of Chania have a tradition for winning the “blue flags” of Europe and are accessible for all ages throughout the year.
- Winter – cold (0º to 10º C);
- Spring – pleasant (10º to 25º C);
- Summer – dry desert type heat (25º to 40º C);
- Fall/Autumn – pleasant (10º to 25º C).
Getting around Chania
Chania is a great place to tour on foot, but it is fairly large, so if you want to go further afield use the public transport.
Chania has a well organized bus service (KTEL) and the central bus station is located in Chania.
You can find a taxi quite easily in the capital and in popular resort areas. Charges are predetermined for most of the popular destinations. Always ask “how much?” before getting in.
Car rental services are available at reasonable prices. However, do not forget to bring your driving license.
Whatever transport you choose, you can easily get to our TEFL course Chania Crete training centre.
Get TEFL certified in Chania then get a job abroad teaching English
TEFL course Chania Crete program – a list of what you should bring
When you decide to take the EBC TEFL course Chania Crete program please take note of the following items that you must bring and those that are optional, but recommended so that you enjoy your TEFL course.
Mandatory items for the TEFL course Chania Crete program
- Non-EU citizens: Passport and either a round-trip air ticket or a one way ticket with a forward travel ticket out of Crete.
- EU citizens: either your Passport or your EU national ID card.
- Original or copies of your University or College qualifications (degree certificate or transcripts).
Laptop computers while you are taking the TEFL course Chania Crete program
- We provide free WIFI internet access and we strongly recommend bringing a laptop.
- If you have a mobile/cell phone that uses a SIM – BRING IT. You will find that it is cheaper to buy a pay-as-you-go card for your phone than it is to buy a new one. Unless your phone is ancient (pre-triband), it will work in Crete.
- Being contactable by phone is VERY important.
Recommended items for the TEFL course Chania Crete program
- It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that non-EU citizens take out personal accident and health insurance;
- Scissors, notebook, glue, pens and pencils, paper clips, blue-tac (don’t forget to put your scissors and other sharp objects in your check-in baggage);
- English-Greek phrase book and/or dictionary;
- Presentable clothes for teaching and job interviews. Business suits are required at some client sites;
- Electrical converters. Crete has a 240 volt system;
- A travel alarm clock;
- Towels and Toiletries;
- Money belt;
Our TEFL course training centre in Chania Crete
TEFL course Chania Crete training centre
Your TEFL course Chania Crete training centre is only five minutes walk away from the town centre. There are three main teaching areas as well as an office, kitchen and bathroom with shower facilities.
A garden terraced area provides an ideal setting for outdoor classes, private study or relaxation in the sun after finishing for the day. Chania and Crete have some of the oldest and richest cultural regions on earth dating back to the Minoan period of 2,700 BC. You can immerse yourself in an inviting, friendly culture while gaining the experience and knowledge that will enable you to live and work abroad. Chania’s Old Town is considered the most beautiful urban district on Crete, especially the crumbling Venetian harbour. Chania is an international tourist destination so it has an ongoing need for English. Chania and Crete in general has a frenzied night life, Greek style. Crete is a friendly and hospitable country with great food, varied cuisine, ancient and modern architecture and lots to do and see. We hope that you are looking forward to your TEFL training in Chania Crete.
Hotel room and harbour for your TEFL course in Chania Crete
TEFL course Chania Crete accommodation
Our TEFL course Chania Crete student accommodation is clean, well priced and conveniently located to the training centre.
- All student accommodation offered is with a known entity.
- We know the people who provide the student accommodation.
- All accommodation is within a maximum of 30 minutes travel to the training centre.
- Some are within walking distance.
Student accommodation Chania starting from €625
The package includes:
- 4 week’s student accommodation close to the EBC TEFL campus
- FREE Welcome drinks
- FREE Graduation party
- Organised outings and activities
- Island tours
4 week’s student accommodation only from €625
The student accommodation contains all or some of the following:
- Double or single beach-front hotel room overlooking the old Venetian harbour.
Teach English in Crete after take your TEFL course in Chania
TEFL course Chania Crete TEFL job opportunities
Chania and Crete are one of Europe’s favourite TEFL destinations
Average pay rates for teaching English in Chania are between 10€ to 15€ per hour for academies and up to 25€ per hour for private clients. Your earnings compared to other workers in Chania are at the higher end. So far, all students that have studied with EBC and then wanted to stay on and work have done so.
The TEFL course Chania Crete training centre also runs a language school. Subject to availability, you may get offered a job teaching English in Chania by the language school at the end of the course.
Should the school not have any jobs immediately available when you graduate, we have direct contacts with many local language schools. All graduates from the EBC TEFL course Chania Crete program will be given lifetime job assistance worldwide.
It is easy to find jobs teaching English in Chania if you have a recognised certificate
- There is a great demand for English teachers both on the mainland cities and throughout the Greek islands including Crete, Corfu, Thebes, Thessaloniki and Larissa.
- The main types of teaching positions are in private language schools (Frontisteros) and private lessons either in the student’s home or your own depending on the situation.
- Types of classes vary from simple general English to preparation for exams set by several examination bodies like Cambridge, Michigan and Edexcel. Age-groups range from young learners to adults. The need to speak English is on the increase for most Greek professional workers as well.
- Since Crete depends on tourism as its main source of income, learning English is a basic necessity and therefore an ideal opportunity for those wishing to live and work abroad.
- EBC TEFL course Chania Crete program graduates are usually working shortly after finishing the course at full market rates.
Will I get hired after completing the TEFL course Chania Spain program?
Based on our track record so far, YES you will. We don’t guarantee a job but so far, everyone who has taken the course and has wanted to stay and and get work get a job teaching English in Chania has done so. This is regardless of what passport the person holds.
“It should be understood that while you (EBC) cannot guarantee that everyone will be employed, it’s pretty much going to happen.”
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
We get your CV/Resume out to language schools in Chania. We help you every step along the way but we cannot pass the job interview for you.
How long does it take to get a job teaching English in Chania ?
This depends on whether you want to work straight away after graduating. If you want to work straight away, our highly efficient job placement programme will have you interviewing and working within a few days of finishing the course.
How much will I earn?
An average range for starting pay for jobs teaching English in Chania is between 10 to 15 Euros per hour. You can earn more by teaching privately (up to about 20 Euros per hour) but you’ll need to make your own arrangements for how and when you get paid by your private students.
What are normal working hours?
Most people work between 20 hours a week. teaching more than 30 hours a week can get stressful. Working between 20 to 30 hours a week will earn you enough to have a pretty decent life-style.
When do teaching jobs in Chania start/end? Is it continuous?
The school year runs from September to June. July and August are the summer. There is work available year-round, even in the summer when there are jobs available teaching intensive courses and in summer camps. This is the reality of the current work situation for teaching English in Chania. NOTE: The rates we state here are standard rates, some schools may pay more, others may pay less. EBC does not recommend accepting work below these rates unless the school is offering other incentives that make the job offer attractive.
General information about teaching English in Chania and Crete
- The demand for English teachers in Crete remains VERY HIGH and COMPETITIVE.
- There aren’t enough English teachers in Crete.
- EBC is always being asked for teachers by language schools as early as the first week of a new course.
- EBC graduates, EU and non-EU, are usually working within a week of finishing the course at full market rates.
- Main job availability regions – Athens, Crete, Corfu, Thebes, Thessaloniki, Larissa (EBC has contacts with hundreds of schools in these regions).
- Main types of teaching – Through “frontisteras”: general English, Business English and English for Young Learners.
- Busiest periods – the academic year from September to June.
- Summer jobs – intensive courses, exam preparation, summer camps.
- Qualifications – an accredited TESOL/TEFL certificate.
- Job duration – the full (or what remains of) the academic year.
- teaching hours per week – 20 to 30.
- Monthly pay – 1,000€ to 1,500€ depending on hours worked.
- Freelance work – from 15/20€ per hour.
- Average monthly basic expenses – 600€.
Explore Chania and Crete
Want to find out more? Contact one of our Student Advisers
Contact our Advisers
Call Us Toll Free
- USA and Canada call FREE: 1 888 393 4015