How BREXIT affects the EFL teacher for the good and for the bad

How BREXIT affects the EFL teacher for the good and for the bad
Spread the news

Brexit is already here. Nobody was totally sure it was going to succeed, but it finally did. At 11 p.m. (GMT) on Friday the 31st of January 2020, the UK left the European Union. Starting from January 1, 2021, the UK is an independent, third country.

As a British citizen who is interested in teaching English in an EU country, how does this affect you?

How BREXIT affects you as a prospective or practising EFL teacher, for better or worse

NOTE: This article is intended for people who only have a British passport and would like to live and work as English teachers in an EU country. The content of this article is based on current news and events.

The English language currently dominates among the three working languages of the EU, and seeing that many countries use English as their second language, the role of English as the lingua franca (the medium of communication between non-native speakers of English) in Europe is unlikely to change.

That said, the Generation Z (also known as Post-Millennials, the iGeneration, Founders, Plurals, or the Homeland Generations) should look into training for another skill that will give them work experience in the EU.

Many UK companies like their employees to have work experience outside the UK, so working as an English teacher in the EU is a good thing.

The big question is, has brexit changed anything?

UK citizens and their right to work in the EU

Taking your four-week  Trinity CertTESOL in Madrid is still fine. You can still come to Madrid and take the four-week course because nothing has changed. You are allowed to come to Madrid (and the rest of Spain) for up to three months so taking a four-week course is still allowed. Working in Europe is still an option but this has changed. You may want to leave the UK and live in an EU country for more than three months or even permanently. If the only passport you have is British, you should consider the next three sections.

1. Get an EU passport (time consuming and not easy)

If your parents or grandparents are or were citizens of an EU country, you may be able to get citizenship in that country. The requirements vary from country to country so check with your chosen country’s embassy first. The benefit of getting an EU passport is that when you get it, you can go and live, study and work anywhere you like in any EU country because you have the right to free movement.

2. Get EU residency (time limited, door closed on December 31, 2020)

If you have lived for a certain number of years in many of the EU countries (for example Spain) you can apply for residency in the country as long as you meet the country’s residency requirements. Doing this gives you the option of living and working in the EU country when British citizens lose the right to work and live in the EU that comes into effect on January 1, 2021.

3. Get a one-year Spanish Student Visa with EBC (quick and easy compared to other options)

This is by far the easiest and cheapest way to come to Spain for one year with the possibility of renewal after your one year stay finishes.

We did some research and we found out that EBC offers the lowest-priced one-year Student Visa programme in Spain. Click here to see what we found.

Starting from January 1, 2021, if your only passport is British, you will be allowed to enter Spain as a tourist for up to three months. You are supposed to return to the UK after the three month period is finished.

If you want to stay longer and work as an English teacher, EBC can help you by offering you our One Year Student Visa and TESOL Study Programme.

EBC has been successfully running this study programme for more than 10 years.


Brexit has caused change. Is it all doom and gloom? Not really because we can help. To use the old saying, “where there’s a will, there’s a way”. If you want to come and study and live in Spain, EBC offers everything you need to make that happen.

My suggestion, invest in quality TESOL training. Our Trinity CertTESOL course in Madrid and our Online Trinity CertTESOL course stand out from the crowd.

The Trinity CertTESOL is one of the two best TESOL certificates in the world and has guaranteed British Council acceptance.

Take advantage of  our One Year Student Visa and TESOL Study Programme to come and study and live in Spain for at least a year.

Are you ready for the future after Brexit?

Let EBC give you Trinity CertTESOL accredited TESOL certification and open the door to Spain using our one year Spanish Student Visa study programme.

Spread the news