I think Sunday is my favourite day of the week. It is a chill-out day.
The countryside around Madrid is quite amazing.
The difference between city and country in Spain is more pronounced than the other countries I have lived in. It is hilly and mountainous and lush green in the winter and sienna brown in the summer.
The farm animals laze around, chewing grass (or what’s left of it) and lying around in the shade. After a quick stop I went to El Escorial. An impressive place. It is a monastery but it is immense, imposing and very beautiful.
After a walk around and a well-deserved an ice-cream (32C in the shade) it was time to head back to Madrid for lunch. After all, it was 2:30 pm. Even by Spanish standards, I was going for a late lunch.
It only takes about thirty minutes to drive back to Madrid. The area at the end of the freeway into Madrid is called Moncloa.
It only really sells one thing; charcoal spit roast chicken, fresh salad and Asturian cider. You can sit in, out or upstairs on a shaded terrace. Great food and good prices.
Lunch was over so it was time to go home for siesta. I had parked in a park next to Casa Mingo.
The park has an interesting name “Parque de la bombilla” (light-bulb park). Every summer there is an open-air cinema starting around midnight, “Cine de verano“. I have been a few times.
They show recent movies and it is a welcome retreat for sitting outside in the cooler air.
I found some quite interesting graffiti in the park and took a few photos.
I do like Madrid. I have been here for eighteen years. It is varied and is full of contrasts. It is also a good place to live and work.
Grafitti in Madrid’s Parque de la Bombilla
Contact one of our Student Advisers
Call Us Toll Free
- USA and Canada call FREE: 1 888 393 4015
TEFL course in Spain
- Learn to teach English and work in Madrid
- Trinity College accredited TESOL / TEFL certification
- Instituto Cervantes accredited Spanish course
- One year student visa
- Accommodation options
- Worldwide, lifetime job placement
- EBC trains and prepares course students to succeed as English language teachers.
- We operate at a higher level than most other courses
- Our TEFL/TESOL certificate courses are written to QCF level 5 standards
- Our job placement programme is unrivalled with a 100% success record