Teach English abroad health insurance options

When you decide to teach English abroad, you will face many exciting and exciting opportunities, but there are also a few challenges you will need to sort out before you leave.

One of the challenges is finding teach English abroad health insurance.

No one wants to get sick, but things happen.

When you start researching countries where you would like to teach English abroad, one of the areas you must look at is health. An excellent place to start is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

There is a possibility that when you are offered a teaching job, the local employer may provide health insurance. If this is the case, make sure you understand exactly what is not covered. The last thing you need is to assume coverage and then find out that there are serious treatment or cost limitations. You will probably find that you need to get your coverage anyway.

Where and how to get teach English abroad health insurance

  1. We recommend that you get health insurance.
  2. The health insurance you will get will almost certainly be private.
  3. There are a few options that you should investigate.

Check your current health insurance (personal or family coverage)

If you already have health insurance, ask the insurer if you can pay a supplement to cover you for the period that you will be abroad. Your current health insurance may be able to give you this option. Speak to your health insurance representative first to determine whether your current health insurance company will allow the extra coverage, the terms and conditions and how much extra you will have to pay.

Check your credit card health insurance

Some credit cards include health insurance, personal accident insurance and travel insurance as part of the service. Check with your credit card company to see if health coverage is included. Ask them whether it will cover you abroad, where it will cover you abroad and precisely what is covered.

Check if there are reciprocal health services.

This is a less common thing, but if you are from a country with a national (state) health system, there may be reciprocal coverage in the country where you want to teach English abroad. This applies within the European Union. EU member nations have joint agreements to treat each other’s citizens via the country’s national health service. For example, a British citizen can use the Spanish national health system free of charge and vice versa.

If your country has a national health system, check if your country has a reciprocal health agreement with the government where you want to teach English abroad.

Buy health insurance

Suppose you cannot extend your existing health insurance, use the insurance provided by your credit card or take advantage of a reciprocal health agreement. In that case, you must buy health insurance.

Global health insurance

Here are three good sources that have been tried and tested.

  1. Assist Card (Global health coverage company)
  2. Aetna/American Express (Global health coverage company)
  3. Insure my trip (An insurance portal offering a wide range of health insurance options)

If you use these services, make sure that you are truthful about everything. If you get sick and have not been honest when you bought the health insurance, you risk the insurer denying your claim.

Buy local health insurance.

It may be possible to buy health insurance locally, and it is sometimes cheaper. However, the coverage, terms, conditions and prices will vary by insurer and country.

You will have to buy local health insurance to teach English abroad when you are in the country.

Health insurance in Europe is generally a lot cheaper than in the USA. We are in Spain, and a standard health insurance policy for someone with no serious pre-existing conditions will cost between 600 to 800 Euros a year. Almost all Spanish health insurance companies have zero deductible and cover 100% of just about everything (including hospitalisation) except dental.