Why is English important?
English is the most important language in the world today.
It is used for everything: international business, academic and political conferences, news reports and of course, popular music lyrics. English is the second language in most non-English speaking countries.
As a means of cross-cultural communication, English is the most widely used language in the world, and it will be used by even more people in the future.
Here are a few statistics.
- Non-native English speakers outnumber native English speakers 5 to 1.
- As of now there are an estimated 1.8 billion people that speak English where only 400 million are native English speakers.
- The world’s estimated population is 6.6 billion people so almost one-third of the entire globe speaks English.
- The number of people needing to learn English grows every day.
Why is the worldwide growth of English important?
The ability to speak English is in constant demand. This means that there must be teachers, like you, ready to teach English.
This constant growth in the demand for English teachers means that your teaching skills gained through an accredited TEFL training programme like EBC’s will always be in demand.
The demand is global, including countries where English is the native language. In order to conduct business, people in countries where English is not the native language must learn it or they won’t be able to compete at an international level. Immigrants to the USA, Canada, Britain, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand will need to learn English to survive there. The demand for English is endless so being an English teacher is something that will never go out of style.
Some more statistics:
- 75%+ of the world’s mail, faxes and email are written in English.
- Most internet pages use English.
- More than 212 countries get news reports from the American-based Cable News Network (CNN).
- The British TV service BBC Worldwide channels are seen by hundreds of millions of people every day.
- Books, magazines, and newspapers written in English are available in many countries around the world.
- English is the most commonly used language in the sciences.
- The Science Citation Index reported that 95% of its articles were written in English, even though only half of them came from authors in English speaking countries.
- English is the internationally accepted official language for air traffic control and maritime communications.
- English is also one of the official languages of the European Union, the United Nations, the World Health Organisation and most international athletic organisations, including FIFA and the International Olympic Committee.
Whatever your reasons may be, becoming an accredited English language teacher is a good career choice. You will gain a valuable skill set that:
- will always be in demand,
- pays a decent wage,
- can be used virtually anywhere in the world,
- gives you the opportunity to travel and experience different cultures and lifestyles,
- and last but not least, opens the door to a highly rewarding career that not only benefits you, it also benefits your students and helps them improve their lives too.
As an English teacher you will have a direct influence on peoples’ lives and help them realise their goals. Teaching is a noble and rewarding profession within which you will find a tremendous level of satisfaction watching your students improve.
If you choose EBC, once you graduate, we will give you lifetime, worldwide career support that will give you up-to-date advice, get you working quickly and will always be there for you when you want a change.
Want to learn how to teach English from the experts?
Contact EBC for more information about our accredited English teacher training courses and job placement program.
TEFL courses options
- EBC trains and prepares course students to succeed as English language teachers.
- We operate at a higher level than most other courses
- Our TEFL/TESOL certificate courses are written to QCF level 5 standards
- Our job placement programme is unrivalled with a 100% success record
TESOL / TEFL courses from EBC
Contact one of our Student Advisers
Call Us Toll Free
- USA and Canada call FREE: 1 888 393 4015