Questions like, can an American work legally in Spain as an English teacher are now frequent

So can an American work legally in Spain as an English teacher? The short answer is yes, and it is not only Americans who can work legally in Spain as English teacher, but also other non-EU nationals.

If you come and train with EBC in Madrid and take our Road2Spain programme you will get TEFL trained, learn Spanish and get a one year Student Visa that allows you to work. Even better, when you compare prices, the EBC Road2Spain programme is the best value package offered in Madrid

The days of working off the books have by no means disappeared, but the thought of not being able to work legally in Spain as an English teacher scares off some people because they do not know the facts.

Some people work off the books others do not. It is very much a matter of personal choice.

This article attempts to explain all available options to work legally in Spain as an English teacher.

To answer the question “can an American work legally in Spain as an English teacher?” another question must be asked. How long do you want to stay in Spain? A couple of months, six months, a year, forever?

Are you Canadian? Spain and Canada have a youth (18 to 35 years old) one year work permit agreement. Canadians can get a one year work visa for Spain and vice versa. Click here for exact details about the work permit programme published by the Spanish Consulate in Ottowa.

Working off the books

According to government statistics, there are around 500,000 illegal workers in Spain. These people live and work in Spain off the books. As you can see, if you decided to work off the books, you would not be alone.

Having said that, it has its risks. In the unlikely event that you are caught teaching, you will have to move apartments so it can cause inconvenience. Spain does not arrest and deport illegals unless they have committed a crime.

You will need to stay in Spain and if you travel around Europe, make sure it is within the other 25 EU countries that respect the Schengen agreement. If you leave the Schengen zone, there is a risk that you will not be allowed back if your period outside the zone is less than ninety days.

Working off the books happens and is a well-known problem for the Spanish government. If you want to travel this route, the choice is yours. You are an adult, we have explained the situation and we will not pass judgement.

For more about this and to see how the Spanish government addresses this problem, look at the “I’ve been illegal for two years so give me residency” section shown below.

The student visa route

Spanish student visas are issued for attending courses of between 6 to 12 months duration. The courses must be taught by a state registered organisation (usually a college or university) or by a Cervantes Institute Spanish language school.

The Spanish student visa is an odd animal. It allows residency in Spain for its period of validity, it is renewable and it has a work provision that is the epitome of vague. The work provision states that the holder may work as long as the work relates to the course sector, that the work does not impede studies and that the work is not full-time. It states that the job can be voluntary or a paid position. Spanish law states that a full-time position is between 35 to 40 hours a week.

Your average English teacher in Spain, legal or not, usually works between 20 to 25 hours a week.

EBC offers a student visa eligible, one academic year study programme (Road2Spain) in conjunction with a Cervantes Institute Spanish school in Madrid. If you want to come to Spain, study Spanish (course sector “language learning”) and teach without worrying about looking over your shoulder, it is a very good option.

Getting a work permit through “normal” channels

There is no such thing as a temporary or short-term work permit for foreigners in Spain. You must be an EU resident.

If you want to get a work permit for Spain, it automatically means you are here for the long-term. If you are not planning to make Spain your permanent home, getting a work permit is not even worth considering.

Getting a work permit means that you will also get full residency in Spain, which in turn, translates to a long-term commitment.

As you can well imagine, Spanish immigration does not give a residence permit to anyone who walks in and asks for one. There is a long and drawn out process (many months) and there is no guarantee of success. During this period, you are supposed to be back in your home country waiting for the result of your work permit application. The waiting period can be as long as nine months.

Getting residency by the back door

Parents and grandparents

The key to a work permit is EU residency and it can be with any EU member nation.

All EU residents can work in any country in the EU regardless of the EU country where they were born. It is the same principal as someone from New York being able to freely go and work in California.

Many countries within the EU have a “grandfather” law, which allows people who were not born in the EU to apply for EU residency because their parents were born in the EU. Some EU countries even allow as far back as grandparents. The rule about eligibility varies from country to country so if you think you may be eligible, get in touch with your nearest consulate.

Fiancé, partner or spouse

Spain officially recognises couples regardless of gender. This means that a couple with an EU and a non-EU partner (common-law or married) have official state recognition.

Spain also has a provision to grant residency to the non-EU partner for officially consummated common-law partnerships and marriages. The marriage procedure needs no explanation but there is a standard process for creating a common-law partnership. In Spanish, this is a “pareja de hecho“. This is another road to residency but it obviously has serious personal implications and commitments.

The “I’ve been illegal for two years so give me residency law”

I often refer to this as the “Outer Limits” law.

Please feel free to investigate this to the last syllable because it truly sounds like the “Outer Limits”.

Spain has a law called the “arraigo social”. A section of this law is the “arraigo laboral“. This section of the law offers people who are not from the EU the possibility of gaining residency if they can prove they have been living and working in Spain for at least two years. Implicit in this is that they have been working illegally because as we all know; non-EUs who are not EU residents cannot work in Spain, right!

Hold on a minute! Everyone says you cannot work in Spain without a work permit.

Spain is full of contradictions and this law is possibly the clearest example.

To cut a long story short, the law gives residency to anyone who can show he or she has been living and working illegally in Spain for at least two years.

There is a also a formal procedure for registering yourself with the town hall. Your illegal residency clock starts on the day you register with the town hall. The process is called “empadronamiento“.

A similar section in the law applies for common-law partnerships (“arraigo familiar”). NOTE: If you come to Spain with a student visa, you cannot use the “Outer Limits” law for the simple reason that by having a student visa you are in Spain legally. The “Outer Limits” law is only for illegals!

The final word

According to last week’s news, many British are leaving Spain. The main reason for the exodus is that the British Pound has devalued a lot so the money that many of them had from savings or retirement plans is now worth about 40% less than what it was.

If the British are leaving, who is filling the vacuum with respect to English teachers?

Well no one right now, so teaching vacancies are rising. The Spanish economy is still not the same as it was six years ago but according to all official channels, including the IMF, Spain is on the right track. Big investment firms like Morgan Stanley have been recommending Spain to their investors for over a year.

So there you have it:

  • Off the books
  • Temporary (one year) residency with a student visa
  • A work visa through “normal” channels
  • Residency via partnership or marriage
  • Residency through EU parents and sometimes grandparents
  • Residency by being illegal

Spain is certainly not closed to non-EUs. You just need to know where to look. We hope this article has been useful. Now you have to decide what is best for you.

This page is not legal advice, it is commentary based on facts and experience. If you need legal advice, get in touch with a lawyer.

Want to learn how to teach English from the experts?

Contact EBC for more information about our accredited English teacher training courses and job placement program.

Contact one of our Student Advisers

Call Us Toll Free

Call us TOLL FREE from the USA, CANADA and UK. If we are closed, leave a message.  We'll call you back. CHECK YOUR TIME ZONE! EBC IS OPEN  FROM 9:30 TO 5:30, MONDAY TO FRIDAY. OUR TIME ZONE IS, 6 HOURS AHEAD OF US EAST COAST TIME.
  • USA and Canada call FREE: 1 888 393 4015
All other countries, call (+34) 915 553 975 (not toll free)
Highly Recommended! Everyone is helpful and the course itself was very helpful, especially for people who have no teaching background and would like to change careers.
Cheyenne Albon
08:00 10 Oct 18
I had a good time doing my TEFL here in Madrid with EBC. The classes always started on time with a very realistic approach used to teach. I would recommend people to do TEFL from EBC to learn good ways to teach English and make it fun for students.
gaurav swamy
12:52 05 Oct 18
i learned a lot of strategies in teaching.I took the intensive 1 month course and it was really hard work but it was well worth it. Thanks a lot to our amazing teacher. I was so happy to receive my Certificate.Thanks alot EBC for everything.
lhiz Velasco Cabales
08:27 05 Sep 18
EBC is a wonderful academy. I attended an intensive course to gain my TEFL/TESOL qualification. The teaching was in-depth, covering skills, general and business English, as well as how to teach children and adults. All of this was imparted by our professional guide, John. Thank you to all the staff who went out of their way to be encouraging and helpful. It has been a memorable experience!
Michelle Fernández
18:00 02 Sep 18
Great course with an awesome staff. All aspects of teaching, grammar, finding work and even living in Spain are covered in great detail. Would recommend highly to anyone looking to do their TEFL.
Joe Kemp
12:53 31 Aug 18
Excellent and very comprehensive programme. Our instructor taught us everything we need to know about teaching English. The practice teaching sessions we did are great experience for the real world and I now feel confident that I can teach professionally. Thank you John for your commitment and dedication.
Susi Santorelli
12:03 31 Aug 18
Totally recommend EBC. A thorough course, well worth the money and with highly qualified instructors. I had never taught before taking this course, but the 8 hours teaching practice makes you feel so prepared. They answered every single one of my questions and made me feel confident to make this investment. Don't hesitate taking this course!
Kathryn Royal
11:59 31 Aug 18
Great course! You'll work very hard (it's very intensive) but definitely worth it. I totally recommend it.
Sol Montaser
09:00 27 Jul 18
The class was very good. The instructor John is friendly and very thorough with his classes. William, in the front office, is a joy and is very helpful with all of my course needs. Tita, is very nice and was helpful in explaining different options for working and staying in Madrid.
Jaime Tully
08:59 27 Jul 18
John is a good teacher and he puts efforts inorder to understand your requirements. He teaches you in the right ways, like how to present the language in a simple way, how to keep the motivation on, etc.It´s a intensive course but it´s really worth !!Willam is a good administrator. Thanks for all the help and support. 🙂
Tanya Bhagat
11:41 18 May 18
The course is very intensive but IT IS REALY WORTH! If you are looking for a course that teaches you how to become an English teacher, well this is the best one. You really get the better skills for teaching English at all levels with a clear knowledge about what you are doing. The staff of the course is really nice and helpful. He is a really nice person who helps you whatever you need.Teachers here at really good and they really know how to train you as a English teacher very well.
Dro !
11:24 18 May 18
I am very pleased with my experience at EBC Madrid. Professor John was an amazing mentor that really prepared my classmates and I to teach English. I feel confident going into the job market and finding a teaching job.
Elizabeth Wohlford
15:28 08 Mar 18
EBC Madrid had equipped me with the necessary knowledge and skills I need to be better in teaching. William is so nice and is very accommodating to us students. And, John is the best teacher who can simplify and make the students understand even the most complicated grammatical concept. Kudos!
Anne Marnelli
14:42 08 Mar 18
The course is very intensive but it helps a lot to bring out the best in me. John is an amazing teacher and he is very professional. I'm very thankful for all the guidance and help that I received from EBC. I highly recommend it.
Roxanne A.
14:42 08 Mar 18
The course is really useful. It makes you equipped with the right knowledge, training and attitude. Things you need to have that confidence to go out and face the world as an English teacher. Highly recommended!
Pedi Dela Cruz
14:25 08 Mar 18
This is a great place to get your TEFL certification. The staff is kind, organized and very helpful. It was such a comfortable learning environment that I enjoyed very much. I liked the personalized attention and I got a lot more confidence and experience to be an English teacher. Thanks for everything!
Victoria Metz
10:35 02 Feb 18
I found the instruction throughout the course to be very effective and I finished the course feeling excited and prepared to begin teaching. There is nothing fancy about the EBC facility, however this doesn't in any way reduce the overall quality of the course. John, the instructor, has extensive experience (both as an TEFL teacher and a TEFL course trainer), which is evident in the thoughtful organization of the course. My class had only five students, which created lots of time for personal attention and advice. Make sure you come prepared to work hard!
Adam Schreiber
12:06 14 Dec 17
It was a great and intensive course! I learned and enjoyed this whole learning how to teach experience. Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. I feel well-prepared now. EBC Madrid, 2017.
Michele Buitron
11:57 14 Dec 17
I've just finished my EBC TEFL course. It was a great experience. I definitely recommend this course. John is an amazing teacher and he is very professional. It was just a pleasure. Thank you so much and good luck!
Natalia Egorova
15:04 10 Nov 17
The course has been really useful and the teacher, John, made the classes so much fun and very interesting. It is has been a great experience and has helped me realise how much I really enjoy teaching. It has also been a bit intense at times but I would recommend this course to anyone who would like to become an English teacher.
Natasha Jimenez
20:17 05 Oct 17
Class of August 2017.It's been a busy stressful 4 weeks but I am happy the group and I have all made it and we have TEFL certificates to show for all our hard-work and sleepless nights. Much thanks to our trainer John for his patience and ability to find solutions and guidance to help you find your way and energy throughout the course. EBC international is the best place to learn and share your knowledge of teaching. And for people like me who has no idea how to teach things like grammar and also to learn the grammar...this is the place to be!
Ashley Kabanda
11:14 31 Aug 17

Share this page


WhatsApp chat Click to WhatsApp us